TLC-MS Interface 2
Rapid extraction of compounds for online transfer into APCI-MS, APPI-MS or ESI-MS
The versatile instrument to extract compounds from a TLC/HPTLC plate and feed into a mass spectrometer for substance identification or structure elucidation. CAMAG TLC-MS Interface can be connected to any brand of LC-coupled mass spectrometer.
- Compatible with all common HPLC-MS systems
- Rapid and convenient extraction directly into your MS
- Identification of unknown substances
- Confirmation of target compounds
- Semi-automatic performance
- Reproducible results and detectability similar to HPLC-MS
- Compatible with most common TLC/HPTLC layers
- Extraction into vials for NMR or (ATR-)FTIR , static nanospray, direct
inlet EI-MS and MALDI
- No more scraping off the plate
Why a TLC-MS Interface?
Surveys have shown that not all samples may be processed by HPLC-MS or HPLC-DAD systems due to no or low detectability of the compounds or impurities in the UV range, a heavy matrix load or a lack of MS compatible solvents. On the other hand HPTLC is another very fast and convenient method to separate samples. In the past unknown substances were scraped off from the TLC/HPTLC plate, eluted into a tube and transferred into the MS. Now a very convenient and universal TLC-MS Interface is available which can semi-automatically extract zones of interest and direct them online into any brand of HPLC-MS system.
The interface is quickly and easily connected (by two fittings) to any LC-coupled mass spectrometer without adjustments or mass spectrometer modifications. Questioned substances are directly extracted from a TLC/HPTLC plate and sensitive mass spectrometric signals are obtained within a minute per substance zone. The interface extracts the complete substance zone with its depth profile and thus allows detections comparable to HPLC down to the pg/zone range. The interface has been proven to be one of the most reliable and versatile interfaces for TLC/HPTLC-MS coupling [1-13].
The versatile instrument is used to isolate unknown compounds from a TLC/HPTLC plate and transfer them into a mass spectrometer for identification or structure elucidation. CAMAG TLC-MS Interface can be connected to any brand of LC-coupled mass spectrometer.
- Plug & play installation by two HPLC fittings at a given HPLC-MS system
- Semi-automatic instrument involving automatic piston movement for pressure seal of the
TLC/HPTLC zone on both glass plates and aluminum foils
- Extraction directly from the plate using a suitable solvent delivered by the HPLC pump
- Online transfer into the mass spectrometer
- Automatic cleaning of the piston between the extractions
Technical functionality and requirements:
The instrument extracts circular zones of 4 mm diameter from a TLC/HPTLC plate, e.g.
with methanol or any other appropriate solvent, using the standard flow speed of the HPLC-MS
system (e.g. 0.1 mL/min).
Additional extraction head geometries for a reduced or an enlarged layer
thickness [5, 12] or oval geometry  will be available.
Materials: Plates or aluminum foils up to 20 x 20 cm can be positioned accurately and analyzed
zone by zone. Automation: Semi-automatic instrument involving automatic piston movement,
automatic cleaning of the piston, manual positioning and switching
- Weight: approx. 11 kg
- Size: approx. 23 x 50 x 25 cm; size with optional
- large table is 40 x 50 x 25 cm (w x d x h)
- Requirements: 5 bar compressed air or N2,HPLC pump or HPLC-MS system
Identification of a substance in a mixture (caffeine, paracetamol, acetylsalicylic acid)
022.8440: CAMAG TLC-MS-Interface 2 for extraction of substances from TLC/HPTLC layers, incl. Elution head oval 4m
022.8441: CAMAG TLC-MS-Interface 2 for extraction of substances from TLC/HPTLC layers, incl. Elution head round 4m
022.8445: Elution head oval for TLC-MS-Interface 2, 4mm
022.8446: Elution head round for TLC-MS-Interface 2, 2mm x 4mm
022.8450: Filter: Column Saver 2 µm, SST Frit Interface for TLC-MS-Interface 2
For more information:
Or ask your question directly: